Seldom, Windows users encounter “Windows Update 8024402c Error” while installing updates. It displays a message “Windows Update Error 8024402c Windows could not search for new updates.” There are different reasons behind this error. Maybe your network settings are corrupt, or update settings are invalid. Sometimes, you face this error when you have connected your system to a LAN.
Here are some techniques to fix this error. If one method works for me, that does not mean it will also work for you. Maybe any other method fixes this error. So, apply all of them until the problem is fixed.
- Method # 1: Disable Windows Firewall & Antivirus [Most Working Solution]
- Method # 2: Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
- Method # 3: Delete SoftwareDistribution Folder
- Method # 4: Change the DNS Server Settings
- Method # 5: Reset Automatic Updates Client
- Method # 6: Refresh Windows Update Services by using Command Prompt
Method # 1: Disable Windows Firewall & Antivirus [Most Working Solution]
If you are running a program such as an antivirus program or Windows Firewall, it may be interrupting the Windows Update feature. You have to disable that program for some time to fix this error.
- To disable Windows Firewall
- Click “Start” and type “Windows Firewall” in the Search bar. It will show you “Windows Firewall in the search results.
- From the left pane, you have to select the option “Turn Windows Firewall On or Off.”
- In the next window, just select “Turn Off Windows Firewall” option and select OK.
- To disable the Antivirus program
Click the “Notification tray” on the taskbar. Here you will see “Antivirus icon.”
Right-click on the icon and select “Disable” option. Now it is your choice to disable it for 10 minutes or permanently.
Once you have finished the installation process of Windows Updates, turn on the Antivirus and Windows Firewall. It is harmful to your system security to turn these programs off for a longer time.
Method # 2: Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
You need to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter feature that will check and fix the errors related to Windows Update.
- Go to the Control Panel and select “Find and fix problems” feature in the “System and Security” category.
- On the next page, select “View all” option in the left pane.
- It will display all of the options for Troubleshoot. Here, double-click “Windows Update” at the bottom of the list.
- Now select “Next” on the Windows Update Troubleshoot page.
- It will start the troubleshooting process. Wait for a few minutes until it completes the process and fixes this error.
- Now reboot the system, and that’s all.
Method # 3: Delete SoftwareDistribution Folder
SoftwareDistribution Folder is a place where Windows Update service installs updates every time it checks for the latest updates. You need to delete this folder. Before deleting, you have to stop the Windows Update service.
To Stop Windows Update Service
- Go to the “Start” and type “Administrative Tools” in the Search bar. It will show you the search results. Click this feature.
- Here, select “Services” option.
- Now scroll down the list that runs alphabetically. You will find here the “Windows Update” service. Right-click to select “Stop” option.
Now you can delete the “SoftwareDistribution” folder.
- Go to Computer’s “C:/” Drive. Select here “Windows” folder.
- It will show you the “SoftwareDistribution” folder. Right-click and select “Delete” option.
- Now again go to the “Windows Update” in Services and select “Start” to restart the stopped service.
- Go to the Start and type “Windows Update” in the search bar. It will appear in the search results. Click to open it.
- Now select here “Check for Updates” option. It may take a few minutes depending on the size of updates.
Now see if the error is fixed.
Method # 4: Change the DNS Server Settings
Occasionally, the recently used IP configuration may be interrupting Windows Update feature. So, you can change the DNS server configuration to fix this error.
- Press “Windows + R” combination of keys to launch the “Run” dialogue box. Type here “ncpa.cpl” and press Enter.
- It will direct you towards the “Network Connections” page where you have to right-click on the network connection you are using and select the “Properties” option.
- Here, in the “Networking” tab, you need to select “Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)” and select the “Properties” tab.
- Now check the option “Use the following DNS server addresses” and type “220.127.116.11” in the Preferred DNS server and “18.104.22.168” in the Alternate DNS server box. Click “OK” to save the changes.
- Reboot the system. I am sure it has fixed “Windows Update 8024402c” error.
Method # 5: Reset Automatic Updates Client
The configuration of Automatic Updates client may be interrupting Windows Update functionality and causing this error. So, you need to reconfigure Automatic Updates client to fix this error. It is a 100% working method for most of the users. But you need to be very careful to work on registry editing. If you do not have much knowledge about it, don’t try this method. Otherwise, you could lose important system files.
- Open “Run” dialogue box by pressing “Windows + R” keys and type “regedit” here and press Enter to open Registry Editor.
- You need to select “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE” to expand it.
- Here, select “Software” folder and click “Policies” in it.
- Now select “Microsoft” here to expand it.
- Select “Windows” and then “WindowsUpdate” from it.
- If you do not find here the “WindowsUpdate” option, just generate it. Right-click “Windows” and select “New.”
Now type its name as “WindowsUpdate.”
- In “WindowsUpdate” key, you have to generate another key known as “AU” by using the same operation.
- In the right pane of “AU,” you will see a key “UseWUServer.” If you are unable to get it there, you have to generate it too. So, click on any place in the right pane to see the option “New” and select “QWORD (64-bit) Value” from the contextual menu. If you are using a 32-bit system, you need to select “QWORD (32-bit) Value” from here.
- Now enter its name “UseWUServer.” Here, you need to double-click “UseWUServer” key and set its value “0” from “1” and click OK to save it.
- Close the window and restart the PC to make the changes effective.
Method # 6: Refresh Windows Update Services by using Command Prompt
You have to refresh the Windows Update Services feature by using the following steps.
- You need to go to the “Start” menu and select “Command Prompt.” Right-click and select “Run as Administrator.”
- Once it is launched, type here “net start bits” and press Enter. Now type “net start wuauserv”, and press Enter. It will fix this error for sure.
These are very useful techniques to resolve Windows Update 8024402c error. If you have any other method to fix this error, do let us know in comments.