Windows 7 was released in six different versions. Windows 7 Starter is one of them. Other editions are available for PC, Tablets, and Netbooks. But Windows Starter is the only edition that is available for Netbooks only. You cannot get it on the PC. There are some features that will be available in other editions of Windows 7 but you will not find them in Windows 7 Starter.
Windows 7 Starter Features
The powerful Windows Defender makes Windows 7 Starter a worthy OS to use on small PC notebooks. Your browsing, search and online communication is safe and secure while using Windows 7 Starter.
It comes with an easy network setting. You can easily reset the Home Network and Office network by using the guide in Starter.
Switching through the apps and programs was never so easier. You can easily move from one to another application without closing them. Windows navigation appears more comfortable and convenient now.
The faster Startup makes the Restart, Sleep, Hibernate and Shutdown amazingly speedier as compared to the previous versions of Windows.
The inclusion of Windows Firewall makes your data securer. Now, your data is safe and no unauthorized person can access it.
Quick setting the connection with the Printer or Scanner is another facility brought by Windows 7 Starter.
More Windows 7 Versions:
- Windows 7 Ultimate
- Windows 7 Professional
- Windows 7 Home Basic
- Windows 7 Home Premium
- Windows 7 Starter
- Windows 7 Enterprise
Windows 7 Starter Limitations
Since it is an entry-level version of Windows 7, it lacks some latest features. The limitations of this edition of Windows 7 are as under.
It lacks Windows Media Center where you can record, rewind, watch and forward the TV programs.
It does not support DVD playback, multi-monitor, and Aero Glass feature.
You cannot personalize the Windows. You cannot change the Window color, style, background or sound pattern.
It does not contain Remote Media Streaming. So, you cannot stream your desired audio and video files from a remote computer.
Furthermore, you can open only three programs at the same time. It does not allow you to open more than three programs at a time. In other editions, you can open many programs at a time.
So, we can conclude that Windows 7 Starter is a very limited edition that is recommended for Netbooks only. Even Microsoft recommends the PC users to download Professional, Home Basic, Ultimate and other editions. Windows 7 Starter is only available for small PC netbooks.
Download & Install Windows 7 Starter
If you want to install Windows 7 Starter in your netbook, you need to download the “Windows USB/DVD Download” tool first. You can download this tool from the official site of Microsoft. Click Here to download “Windows USB/DVD Download.”
- To begin, connect a USB with your Netbook. There should be minimum 4GB storage space in the USB. Now, download the tool.
- Once you have the tool, download the ISO image of Windows 7 Starter from the below given link. The ISO image contains all the necessary files.
- Now, go to the “Windows USB/DVD Download” tool. Right-click to it and select “Run” from there.
- In the Home Page, you will see the “Source File” box. Type the path of the ISO image file. If you do not know how to type the path, use the “Browse” option to detect the ISO and select “Next.”
- Select the option “USB Device” and click “Begin Copying” from the next screen. Now, the system will start copying the ISO image to the USB drive.
- You have to go to the ISO Image in the USB drive once the copying process is over. Double click the “Setup.exe” file to start the installation process.
- Reboot the Netbook and select “Boot from USB.”
- You will see the system is loading the files. On the Settings page, you need to set the desired language, time and currency format, Keyboard or input method and select “Next” from here to move ahead.
- Now, click the option “Install Now” to start the installation process.
- Select “I Accept the License Terms” from here and click the option “Next.”
- Now, you will see two Installation types: Custom and Upgrade. Select “Custom” from here if you want to install a fresh copy of Windows. If you want to upgrade only, select “Upgrade” from here.
- Now, you need to select a disk drive where you want to install this edition of Windows 7.
- The system starts copying the files, then the file expanding and installation process starts.
- Wait for some time until the installation reaches 100%. During the installation process, the system will restart for multiple times. You do not need to interrupt the process.
- Add the product key in the given box.
Finally, set the Network connection and your Windows 7 Starter is ready to use.
Download Windows 7 Starter
Q: When I start the installation of Windows 7 Starter on my mini HP Netbook, it seems loading files and then restarts. It repeats the same process and does not move ahead. Please help me.
Ans: It shows your USB/DVD is corrupt or damaged. You need to change the installation tool and try again to install the Windows 7 Starter.
Q: When I try to install it in my Netbook, it shows “Windows Installer Service could not be accessed” message. What does it mean?
Ans: There may be a corrupt registry key that is blocking the installation of Windows 7 Starter. So, you need to fix the error by running “Fix Problems that Program cannot be installed or uninstalled” troubleshooter. It will fix the problem automatically.
Q: I am unable to install Windows 7 Starter. The system loads the files and installation process begins but stops halfway. Please fix this problem.
Ans: It seems your system’s Windows Installer Engine is not working properly. Open the Command Prompt and type “MSIExec” and press Enter. Check if you get an error message now. If it shows an error message, it means the Windows Installer engine is creating a problem. Copy the problem and check it online to fix the error.
Q: The installation media is unreadable.
Ans: You may be using a DVD for installing Windows 7 Starter. Make sure the DVD is new and scratch-free. If it is dual-layer DVD or containing scratches, it will show an error.