For the beginners, ASIO4ALL is a sound driver that produces the sound. Whenever a manufacturer designs a sound card, he will also provide you a sound driver that would work as a middle man between the audio application and a sound card. When FL Studio produces a sound from your PC, it needs a platform to do so. ASIO4ALL sound driver is a platform to create sound.
You either install this driver to your PC or use an external audio driver to for FL’s proper functioning. The choice is yours. The sound card becomes very important if you are going to work with the audio. There are some other sound drivers such as “Primary Sound Driver,” but you will face lags and comparatively low performance than ASIO4ALL.
Features of ASIO4ALL
Let’s have a look at the notable features of this sound driver to know why it is better for us.
Speed: ASIO drivers do not require higher CPU latency. They have lower buffer settings as compared to the primary sound drivers used in Windows.
Multiple Audio Devices: ASIO4ALL comes with support to various audio devices. The standard ASIO drivers did not accompany this feature. It is present in ASIO4ALL. It allows you to use a USB microphone input while using a regular audio device.
How to Use ASIO4ALL Sound Driver [Settings]
Here is how you can use ASIO4ALL. Press F10 on the keyboard to open the Audio settings. You can also type “Audio Settings” in the Search Bar next to the Start button to launch the Settings.
In Input/output section, you need to select “ASIO4ALL v2.”
Now move below to the “Show ASIO Panel” tab that will take you towards the standard and advanced modes of the audio driver.
In the ASIO Buffer Size category in the same window, you can adjust the buffer length as per your desire. It will fine-tune the buffering problem.
WDM Device List: This option will include some devices that have been installed correctly and they are registered with the Windows. If you cannot see any device in this list, it means the audio device driver is corrupt, and you need to re-install it. If the sound of your PC is working well, there must appear at least one name in the list. Don’t forget to reboot your system once you have uninstalled and re-installed a driver.
Basic and Advanced Options: This category is divided into two options known as Basic and Advanced. Once you click the spanner for once, it will convert the settings in Basic whereas; clicking it again will change the settings in Advanced.
Download ASIO4ALL for Windows 7, 8, 8.1 & 10
Well, ASIO4ALL is the best audio driver with low latency for the users. However, the choice is yours. If you do not want to use ASIO4ALL, there are some alternatives to this tool for you.
Realtek High Definition Audio Codec
Realtek HD Audio Codec is the best alternative for ASIO4ALL. It is available free and compatible with Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10. The latest version of Realtek HD Definition Audio Codec R2.82 has been released on January 7, 2019. You can download it from. This audio driver is available free of cost.
IDT High Definition Audio Codec
It is also considered a better alternative for ASIO4ALL. You can download this audio driver without paying money from its official website. The latest version is 2008-05-13 that was released on May 13, 2008. It is compatible for Windows 95, 98, NT, 2000, XP and 2003.
Realtek HD Audio Codec (Windows Vista / Windows 7 / Windows 8 32-bit)
It is available on the Realtek official site. The latest version of the Realtek HD Audio Codec R2.79 was released on June 26 for Windows Vista, 7 and 8 (32-bit). You can download this audio driver from the official site of Realtek. It is available for free and can be considered the best alternative for ASIO4ALL.
- Q: I am using Native Instruments’ audio device. Should I still require ASIO4ALL?
- Ans: Obviously no, If you are already using professional audio hardware, you don’t need ASIO4ALL as Native Instrument is already ASIO compliant.
- Q: Which one is the best choice among a physical audio device or a standard audio card like ASIO4ALL?
- Ans: It is cool to have a physical audio device, but the option for you is to have a standard audio card in your PC.
- Q: When I use Skype, I can’t hear anything. I have re-installed the ASIO4ALL driver, but it still shows no progress. However, it works well with MSN Messenger and my media player. What to do?
- Ans: Obviously No. You need to open the WDM Device List in ASIO4ALL options. Here, you will see a red “X” with the “Skype” box. Uncheck this option. Close all the programs using the audio device. Close ASIO4ALL and FL Studio too. Now reopen both of them and start using the program. It will work well this time.
- Q: I am unable to see the audio device and its input and output in the advanced mode of ASIO4ALL. Why does it happen?
- Ans: It happens when the current version of the audio driver is malfunctioning. You need to uninstall the audio driver and try to download the latest one according to the audio device you are using.
- Q: I am trying to reduce the buffer under-runs, but it is not working in Settings of ASIO4ALL. Please help me on what to do?
- Ans: This feature depends on the nature and design of the audio hardware you are using. It also depends on the drivers of the audio device.
- Q: I have re-installed the audio device drivers, but still I am unable to hear a sound from my PC. Please help.
- Ans: If there is no sound from any of the Windows programs, the problem is not due to the ASIO4ALL. You need to update the audio device drivers. The problem may be due to an outdated driver.