Seldom, in spite of opening a few applications, you realize that your system is hanging. When you open the “Task Manager”, it shows 100% Disk Usage. It becomes a shocking and unbelievable situation because there is some problem with the drive that has slowed down your computer. Same happened with me a few days back. I was unable to open Command Prompt Admin due to this error. If you are facing this error, you may be unable to open any other important program. Luckily, it is not an uphill task to fix this problem. There are several methods you can use to work around this error. Here are all of them.
- Method # 1: Run Antivirus Scan [Most Working Solution]
- Method # 2: Change Google Chrome Settings
- Method # 3: Disable Windows Search Function
- Method # 4: Disable “Windows Search” Feature Permanently
- Method # 5: Disable Superfetch Function
- Method # 6: Skype Settings
- Method # 7: Disable Flash Player Plugin
- Method # 8: Disable BITS (Background Intelligence Transfer Service)
- Method # 9: Disable Windows Firewall
- Some More Solutions
Method # 1: Run Antivirus Scan [Most Working Solution]
This error does not occur in normal condition. It may be due to a deadly virus. So, run an antivirus scan to detect and fix it. Make sure you are using a certified antivirus program for a quick fix.
- Just download the antivirus program and click the “Scan” option to run its scan.
- Restart the system once the Antivirus software completes the scan.
Method # 2: Change Google Chrome Settings
You also need to change the Settings of Google Chrome because it also contributes to showing the “100% Disk Usage” error in Windows 10. Follow the steps below to perform this task.
- Open Google Chrome and click the “Customize and Control” icon ( three vertical dots icon in the top right corner of the Window)
- Select “Settings” from the drop-down menu.
- Scroll down the page and click “Show Advanced Settings” at the bottom of the page.
- Now, in the Privacy section, uncheck “Prefetch resources to load pages more quickly” option.
Method # 3: Disable Windows Search Function
If you want to improve the Disk performance, you need to turn off the “Search” function of Windows. It will decrease the load on the system, and the performance will be better. So, it will automatically drop the Disk Usage from 100% to the minor point. Follow the instructions below to perform this action.
- Right-click the “Start” button and select “Command Prompt (Admin) from here.
- Once the black screen appears, type “net.exe stop “Windows search” and press “Enter” key.
Method # 4: Disable “Windows Search” Feature Permanently
If you disable the Windows Search feature by using Command Prompt, it will deactivate it for a short while. If you want to disable it permanently, you can do it by accessing “Services.”
- Press “Windows + R” keys together to launch the “Run” dialogue box. Now type here “services.msc” and press Enter.
- Here, scroll down to find “Windows Search.” Once you get it, just double-click to launch its Properties. Click “Startup Type” and select “Disable” from here.
Method # 5: Disable Superfetch Function
Sometimes, it happens in Windows 8 and 10 that the super fetch feature becomes a strong reason for interfering in the disk performance. So, you need to disable this feature to fix this error. You can disable it by using Command Prompt.
- Open “Command Prompt Admin” from the “Start” menu. (Just right-click the “Start” button and you will see Command Prompt Admin in the list. Select it from there)
- Now type here “net.exe stop super fetch”, and press Enter.
- It will show you that it has stopped the super fetch service successfully.
- Now you need to check its effect on your system. So, run the check disk utility now.
- Type chkdsk.exe /f /r and press Enter.
- Make sure you have closed all of the applications and saved your work because you will be asked to reboot the system if there is no effect of disabled super fetch service on your system.
- If it has affected your system’s performance, you will see an error while running this utility.
Method # 6: Skype Settings
In Windows 10, the primary reason behind this error is the Skype that is not running outwardly. But in the background, it is still running. If you see it running in the Taskbar, you need to stop it.
- Go to the “C:” Drive and select “Program Files (x86)” from here.
- Here, scroll down to see “Skype” in the list that goes on alphabetically.
- Now select “Phone” folder from here.
- In this folder, you need to right-click “Skype.exe” and select “Properties” from the contextual menu.
- Here, in the list of tabs, select the “Security” tab. You will see here the “Edit” option. Just select it.
- Now click “All Application Packages” in the list to activate the options with checkboxes. Once they are active, just check the option “Write” from here.
- Now select “Apply” and “OK” to save the changes.
- This time, when you launch Skype and again go to the Task Manager to view the Disk Usage, it will not show you this error.
Method # 7: Disable Flash Player Plugin
If you are fond of playing videos in Google Chrome, Flash Player plugin will be surely added to your browser. You need to disable this plugin to fix the “100% Disk Usage” error.
- Launch “Google Chrome” and type “chrome://plugins” in the address bar and press Enter.
- It will open the plugins window. Here, click here the blue-colored option “Disable” below Adobe Flash Player.
Method # 8: Disable BITS (Background Intelligence Transfer Service)
BITS fetches updates for Windows Updates and Windows security programs and uses the idle bandwidth of your system. So, by disabling this feature, you can get rid of this error.
- Press “Windows + R” keys to open “Run” box. Now type here “services.msc” and press Enter.
- It will take you to the “Services” window. Here, scroll down the list goes on in alphabetical order and right-click “background Intelligence transfer service” to select its “Properties.”
- In the “General” Tab, you will see the option “Startup type.” Just change the entry to “Manual” instead of “Disable” because you can choose when to allow this feature and when it will not work.
- It will be effective once you restart the system.
Method # 9: Disable Windows Firewall
Sometimes, the Windows Firewall feature also interrupts with the Disk performance and shows this error. So, you need to disable Windows Firewall to stop getting this error.
- Go to the “Start” button and select “Settings” from here.
- In Settings, type “Defender” in the search bar. Click “Windows Defender settings” from the search results.
- Here, you will see two options “Real-time Protection” and “Cloud-based protection.” Turn off both of them.
- Now reboot the system, and you will see the Disk Usage is not 100% this time.
Some More Solutions
- If the error persists and there is no other way, just uninstall the “Google Chrome” browser and use any other browser instead of it.
- Moreover, uninstall “Skype” that is interrupting the system’s performance and showing this error. By uninstalling both of these programs, you will see the disk usage is not more than 2%.